As established leaders in the field, travel behavior forecasting is one of our most important and highly valued services across multiple project areas. We take a creative and intuitive approach to our forecasting work, focusing on applying a wide range of tools and models to answer pressing planning questions for our clients, and we do it all in a collaborative, inclusive, and supportive work environment.
Our travel demand forecasting specialists make significant contributions to our success in transforming transportation consulting. These positions offer the opportunity to partner with metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs), municipalities, transit planning agencies (including BART, UTA, WMATA, and Sound Transit), and major technology and civil engineering firms to help shape transportation futures. Forecasters at Fehr & Peers work on projects with large impacts, including the Caltrain Business Plan (visioning for the entire 70-mile Caltrain corridor), where our forecasts included the use of a four-step model paired with a direct ridership model that produced corridor, station-to-station, and station ridership forecasts, as well as a mode of station access forecasts. We’ve also worked with SCAG and OCTA to provide tools and innovative modeling techniques influencing and streamlining forecasting and transportation planning.
The right candidates for these positions have strengths in developing and applying travel demand models to analyze and solve challenging transportation problems and an ability to evolve conventional practices to consistently provide our clients with the best forecasting advice possible. We’re seeking motivated individuals skilled in solving problems and developing creative approaches in a collaborative environment with the ability to think critically, adjust to unique situations, and provide customized solutions and approaches using a wide range of travel behavior tools and models.
- Analyze and solve complex transportation planning or engineering problems dealing with all travel modes
- Apply one or more modeling and statistical analysis software programs, such as CUBE, Emme, TransCAD, or Visum, to generate forecasts from a wide variety of models
- Use a variety of other software programs to help visualize forecasts for elected officials, managers, and other decision-makers
- Manage projects overseeing staff, deliverables, budget, and schedule
- Develop high-quality internal and client relationships
- Mentor and develop forecasting staff through projects and trainings
- Apply knowledge of the theory, principles, and practices of transportation planning, travel demand forecasting, travel behavior analysis, and data analysis
- Think both critically and intuitively through the progression of projects to clearly understand the results and identify insights as to how they are important to the big picture in each unique project
- Participate in travel forecasting research through our Forecasting and Operations discipline group
- Prepare papers and presentations for technical conferences
- 5+ years of work experience in travel demand modeling and travel behavior forecasting (CUBE or TransCAD strongly preferred)
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in transportation, civil engineering, or related major
- Experience with travel demand modeling software, including Cube, TransCAD, VISUM, Emme, etc.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, with strong writing, verbal, non-verbal, and presentation skills
- Experience with the development and application of four-step travel demand models, tour-based models, and activity-based models including knowledge of basic statistical concepts and data analysis techniques
- Comfort with working beyond the model: understanding limitations, applying the big picture, and generating innovative ideas
- Ability to translate the results of complex analysis to clients in appealing and intuitive ways
- Computer and database programming and scripting skills (Python, C++, R, VBA, Access, or similar) and proficiency with GIS
- Professional license or certification preferred (e.g., PE, AICP, PTP)
To apply for this job please visit fehrandpeers.com.