Our Orlando office seeks a versatile and creative Transportation Planner with a keen interest and experience in visual communications design to join our team. We’re looking for a well-rounded planner who understands the technical side of transportation analysis and has the graphic design and visualization skills to bring that analysis to life. In this role, you’ll collaborate with our technical experts to conduct analysis, contribute to reports, and create visuals that translate the technical analysis into engaging, intuitive finished products. This position will allow you to dive into a variety of project types—including safe routes to school, transportation safety, active transportation, transportation assessments, and more—opening doors for growth, collaboration, skills development, and creativity. You’ll receive hands-on training from our subject matter experts—both locally and firmwide—and work closely with the growing, close-knit Orlando team. With a supportive environment and career development opportunities at the forefront, you will be part of differentiating and elevating our work through creative and impactful client projects.
- Transform complex transportation analysis into intuitive and visually compelling deliverables for a broad range of applications, including data visualization, maps, graphics, final reports, presentations, and community engagement materials
- Participate in internal and external project meetings and collaborate with project managers to determine the best way to deliver information
- Use technical software programs, including Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) and ArcGIS in the pursuit of compelling visual representation of analysis
- Conduct site visits and collect field data
- Conduct transportation analysis and write reports
- Work on multiple projects of varying types, collaborating with a variety of other staff
- Continually share ideas and skills with colleagues
- Contribute to Fehr & Peers’ internal Research and Development program
- Participate in on-the-job training and mentoring
- A completed or in-process bachelor’s or master’s degree in transportation, urban and regional planning, or a related major (e.g., geography, math, statistics, economics)
- Coursework in transportation, engineering, urban and regional planning, visual communications, geography, math, statistics, economics, or other related courses
- Experience or training related to some of the following transportation planning topic areas: active transportation plans, transit planning, transportation safety, transportation and land use policy, and/or travel demand modeling
- Experience or training related to some or all of the following software: Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, GIS (ArcGIS, QGIS)
- Intermediate proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop)
- Strong visual and written communication skills
- Experience with technical writing and public speaking through school and/or work experience
- Robust organizational skills and the ability to balance priorities between multiple tasks within a defined timeline
- An entrepreneurial spirit and proactive approach to communication and getting work done
- Genuine curiosity for the work and familiarity with the challenges of day-to-day travel within your community
- Interpersonal skills, a desire to collaborate, and a creative approach to problem-solving
Submitting a portfolio demonstrating visual design capabilities is required. Please provide a link or attach it at the same time as your cover letter.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The pay range for this position across all our locations is $62,500 – $84,000 annually. Placement within this range will be determined based upon geographic location, education, experience, and qualifications.
The following comprehensive benefit package is available to regular employees working 20 or more hours per week.
Medical: Employees can choose between several highly subsidized plan options, including a High Deductible Plan with company funded Health Savings Account, PPO and EPO/HMO plans. Specific coverage varies by plan.
Dental/Vision: Dental and Vision plans provide both in-network and out-of-network coverage at employee cost of only $1 per pay period for single coverage.
Life Insurance: Fehr & Peers pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D insurance, for coverage of $50,000. Employees have the option to increase coverage through a voluntary plan.
Disability Insurance: Short and long-term disability coverage of 60% of salary is fully paid by Fehr & Peers.
401(k): Fehr & Peers supports each employee’s retirement planning. The company provides a direct contribution to every employee’s retirement account, regardless of whether the employee makes their own personal contributions, and for those employees who choose to contribute personally we also provide an employer match. The magnitude of these employer contributions is based on the performance of the company. In 2022, employees who made personal contributions to their retirement account received an additional 25% in matching contributions from the company.
Mentoring/Career Development: Our robust career development program includes in-person training, customized coaching and mentoring programs, webinars and technical sessions on current topics in the field, and more.
Research & Development: We encourage staff to participant in one of our many internally-funded research and development groups, propelling innovation, creativity and enhancing the state-of-the-practice.
Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts, Commuter and Biking Benefits fully subsidized up to the IRS limit, Voluntary Benefit Plans, Annual wellness reimbursement, Professional Licenses and Membership dues reimbursement, Employee Assistance and Travel Assistance programs.
Paid Time Off:
PTO: 13 days accrued annually to start, increasing to 18 days after 3 years of employment.
Holidays: 9 company paid holidays.
Sick Leave: Paid sick leave accrues at a rate of 40 hours annually for full-time employees, part-time employees accrue sick leave on a pro-rata basis.
Paid Parental Leave: Up to 8 weeks of paid parental leave provides employees with partial wage replacement.