Fehr & Peers specializes in multimodal transportation planning and engineering services. We’re proud to work with the most advanced transportation technology companies and transportation agencies in the country, tackling challenging questions with comprehensive data and cutting-edge analytics. At the center of this work are our data scientists, with high-level skills in innovative data visualization and advanced technical analysis.
The role of a Fehr & Peers data scientist is to solve our clients’ problems to improve communities. We work with a wide variety of both public-sector and private-sector clients, which means our work has ample room for exploration and creativity, using a broad range of data. Our data scientists need knowledge of and experience with transportation planning principles, as well as the ability to translate complex data and methods into meaningful insights. Data science projects may include analyzing transit ridership trends, evaluating multimodal operations, or developing travel behavior forecasting models. Our work typically focuses on supporting local communities and the transportation data scientist role is available in any of our offices. The Fehr & Peers culture is a unique blend of personal empowerment and collaboration. Individuals have the space to develop innovative, creative solutions, while benefitting from the support of a nationwide network of senior experts. We invest in robust training and development resources to support your pursuit of a unique career path.
- Work closely with project managers, engineers, and planners to devise appropriate analysis methods and metrics, design robust and efficient processes, build visualizations, and tackle hard, open-ended problems to uncover opportunities for our clients
- Model regional travel trends with mobile device data and historical travel survey data
- Improve a roadway’s travel time, reliability, and/or safety by combining speed and collision data
- Uncover possible uses for data, and sort out the potential biases of particular sources or collection methods
- Use a variety of industry standard tools for transportation analysis (TransCAD, Cube, VISSIM, and GIS)
- Employ data science and visualization tools (R, Python, D3, and SQL) for quality control, and to communicate analysis results to our clients
- Work with internal Fehr & Peers data science tools to provide customized solutions and insights to clients (click here for more details and examples)
- Knowledge of transportation planning theory and data analysis
- Formal training in a scientific or quantitative field, through a boot camp, BS, MS, or Ph.D.
- Practical and applied work experience (consulting experience is a plus)
- Ability to proactively engage with staff across the company to share specialized approaches and data sources
- Advanced knowledge of varied statistical and analytical approaches
- Excellent spoken, written, and visual communication skills, with the ability to understand client questions and explain analytical results clearly and concisely
- Knowledge of techniques for accessing data through SQL or similar databases
- Experience with Python, R, D3, or similar scripting language
- Ability to discuss options that balance a project’s budget, schedule, and accuracy to deliver results on deadline and come up with compromises to meet client and project needs
- Passion for learning and sharing to improve yourself and the team around you
- Experience in working with large, diverse data sets and distributed computing tools (preferred)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The pay range for this position across all our locations is $62,500 – $84,000 annually. Placement within this range will be determined based upon geographic location, education, experience, and qualifications.
The following comprehensive benefit package is available to regular employees working 20 or more hours per week.
Medical: Employees can choose between several highly subsidized plan options, including a High Deductible Plan with company funded Health Savings Account, PPO and EPO/HMO plans. Specific coverage varies by plan.
Dental/Vision: Dental and Vision plans provide both in-network and out-of-network coverage at employee cost of only $1 per pay period for single coverage.
Life Insurance: Fehr & Peers pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D insurance, for coverage of $50,000. Employees have the option to increase coverage through a voluntary plan.
Disability Insurance: Short and long-term disability coverage of 60% of salary is fully paid by Fehr & Peers.
401(k): Fehr & Peers supports each employee’s retirement planning. The company provides a direct contribution to every employee’s retirement account, regardless of whether the employee makes their own personal contributions, and for those employees who choose to contribute personally we also provide an employer match. The magnitude of these employer contributions is based on the performance of the company. In 2022, employees who made personal contributions to their retirement account received an additional 25% in matching contributions from the company.
Mentoring/Career Development: Our robust career development program includes in-person training, customized coaching and mentoring programs, webinars and technical sessions on current topics in the field, and more.
Research & Development: We encourage staff to participant in one of our many internally-funded research and development groups, propelling innovation, creativity and enhancing the state-of-the-practice.
Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts, Commuter and Biking Benefits fully subsidized up to the IRS limit, Voluntary Benefit Plans, Annual wellness reimbursement, Professional Licenses and Membership dues reimbursement, Employee Assistance and Travel Assistance programs.
Paid Time Off:
PTO: 13 days accrued annually to start, increasing to 18 days after 3 years of employment.
Holidays: 9 company paid holidays.
Sick Leave: Paid sick leave accrues at a rate of 40 hours annually for full-time employees, part-time employees accrue sick leave on a pro-rata basis.
Paid Parental Leave: Up to 8 weeks of paid parental leave provides employees with partial wage replacement.