Join our team of visual storytellers
At Fehr & Peers, we help clients unpack complex transportation challenges and innovate solutions that improve communities. Our team of more than 20 visual communications specialists convey those solutions to clients and the public by transforming them into appealing and relatable visuals. We’re always accepting applications from creative problem-solvers who are passionate about transportation. Positions are available at each of our locations; just let us know your location preference when you apply.
Work with creatives of all types
There is no one single archetype for our Visual Communications Designer/Planners. Our diverse and highly collaborative group consists of graphic and UI/UX designers, coders, data scientists, GIS professionals, planners, and landscape architects. While our backgrounds and education vary immensely, we have one thing in common: excitement for transportation. We’re always looking to connect with visual designers interested in joining our team to help us better communicate and convey transportation ideas.
Untangle technical puzzles
Transportation analysis is often technically complex. The clients and communities we serve need to understand the real-world implications of those analyses, and they are not often technical experts in this field. Our visual designers help bridge that gap by simplifying complex concepts into intuitive visuals. Whether creating materials to spark dialogue with the public or helping clients make informed decisions, our designers serve as trusted advisors. They collaborate with project managers to determine the best ways to deliver information that resonates with the intended audience. As in-house visual communications experts, we expect everything our designers touch to become easier to understand than the draft they were given.
If you enjoy collaborating and asking questions, helping clients communicate more clearly and creatively, and providing options that you feel will improve a deliverable, then we want to hear from you.
Our Senior Visual Communications Designer/Planners combine graphic design and project management with a background or groomed experience in transportation planning. As company-wide creative leaders, they help set the direction for visual communications at Fehr & Peers. They work directly with clients to tackle complex transportation communication challenges requiring a strategic or creative touch. A passion for inspiring others, generating creative ideas, and translating goals into actionable outcomes will play out across a variety of applications.
The right candidate will be:
Able to inspire others toward shared goals: committed to collaborating and raising the bar for visual communications and having a desire to train and mentor others
Dialed in on the tools needed to succeed: having a strong understanding of graphic design principles and an awareness of current trends, proven experience with high-quality graphic production, and an interest in leveraging new technologies and techniques
Motivated to raise our bar for visual communications: able to put consulting and client service skills to the test: exercising experience in business development, communicating effectively in a variety of settings, and negotiating scope, schedule, and budget.
- Help lead a team of technical professionals, supporting day-to-day operations and forward-thinking goals by applying knowledge of transportation and visual communications to distill complex concepts into intuitive visuals
- Serve as a creative director for large, complicated transportation projects
- Contribute to company-wide initiatives by participating in the planning and execution of actions shaping the Fehr & Peers visual identity
- Mentor and train staff on technical skills related to graphic design, communications, and data visualization
- Help develop staff professionally in areas of project management, client interactions, and marketing
- 7+ years of work experience as a visual designer
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop)
- At least two years of project management experience, a demonstrated ability to collaborate across multiple offices, and experience influencing the work of other designers
- Understanding of transportation planning and engineering principles and applications, or the aptitude to pick it up quickly
- Experience training, mentoring, and influencing the work of others
- Strong interpersonal skills, commitment to collaboration, and a creative approach to problem-solving
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS
- Experience with 3D visualization, data visualization, illustration, UI/UX design, web design, and/or coding
- General business marketing experience