Join our team of visual storytellers
At Fehr & Peers, we help clients unpack complex transportation challenges and innovate solutions that improve communities. Our team of more than 20 visual communications specialists convey those solutions to clients and the public by transforming them into appealing and relatable visuals. We’re always accepting applications from creative problem-solvers who are passionate about transportation. Positions are available at each of our locations; just let us know your location preference when you apply.
Work with creatives of all types
There is no one single archetype for our Visual Communications Designer/Planners. Our diverse and highly collaborative group consists of graphic and UI/UX designers, coders, data scientists, GIS professionals, planners, and landscape architects. While our backgrounds and education vary immensely, we have one thing in common: excitement for transportation. We’re always looking to connect with visual designers interested in joining our team to help us better communicate and convey transportation ideas.
Untangle technical puzzles
Transportation analysis is often technically complex. The clients and communities we serve need to understand the real-world implications of those analyses, and they are not often technical experts in this field. Our visual designers help bridge that gap by simplifying complex concepts into intuitive visuals. Whether creating materials to spark dialogue with the public or helping clients make informed decisions, our designers serve as trusted advisors. They collaborate with project managers to determine the best ways to deliver information that resonates with the intended audience. As in-house visual communications experts, we expect everything our designers touch to become easier to understand than the draft they were given.
If you enjoy collaborating and asking questions, helping clients communicate more clearly and creatively, and providing options that you feel will improve a deliverable, then we want to hear from you.
Our Mid-Level Visual Communications Designer/Planners leverage their creativity, communications skills, familiarity with transportation planning concepts, and seasoned visualization expertise. Serving as partners to clients and project managers, they develop creative strategies for projects and work with entry-level planners/designers to execute these ideas.
- Establish creative vision for a broad range of applications, including data visualization, maps, final reports, presentations, and community engagement and execute this vision with limited direction and delegation to junior staff
- Collaborate with diverse consultant teams on marketing and project deliverable strategies
- Collaborate with company-wide Visual Communications team on best practices and visual design trends and software; contribute to mentoring and delegating based on these practices
- Maintain knowledge of design trends and inspiration; continually inject new ideas into our work
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop)
- Excellent visual and written communication skills
- Portfolio demonstrating visual design capabilities
- 3-5 years of work experience as a visual designer
- Strong interpersonal skills, commitment to collaboration, and a creative approach to problem-solving
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS
- Superior organizational skills and the ability to multitask
- Passion for learning new industry standards and cutting-edge software programs
- Professional experience in the A/E/C or other consulting industry, urban planning, urban design, transportation planning, or the aptitude to pick it up quickly
- Experience delegating work to and providing input on the work of other designers
- Experience with 3D visualization, data visualization, illustration, UI/UX design, web design, and/or coding
- General business marketing experience
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The pay range for this position across all our locations is $78,000 – $103,000 annually. Placement within this range will be determined based upon geographic location, education, experience, and qualifications.
The following comprehensive benefit package is available to regular employees working 20 or more hours per week.
Medical: Employees can choose between several highly subsidized plan options, including a High Deductible Plan with company funded Health Savings Account, PPO and EPO/HMO plans. Specific coverage varies by plan.
Dental/Vision: Dental and Vision plans provide both in-network and out-of-network coverage at employee cost of only $1 per pay period for single coverage.
Life Insurance: Fehr & Peers pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D insurance, for coverage of $50,000. Employees have the option to increase coverage through a voluntary plan.
Disability Insurance: Short and long-term disability coverage of 60% of salary is fully paid by Fehr & Peers.
401(k): Fehr & Peers supports each employee’s retirement planning. The company provides a direct contribution to every employee’s retirement account, regardless of whether the employee makes their own personal contributions, and for those employees who choose to contribute personally we also provide an employer match. The magnitude of these employer contributions is based on the performance of the company. In 2022, employees who made personal contributions to their retirement account received an additional 25% in matching contributions from the company.
Mentoring/Career Development: Our robust career development program includes in-person training, customized coaching and mentoring programs, webinars and technical sessions on current topics in the field, and more.
Research & Development: We encourage staff to participant in one of our many internally-funded research and development groups, propelling innovation, creativity and enhancing the state-of-the-practice.
Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts, Commuter and Biking Benefits fully subsidized up to the IRS limit, Voluntary Benefit Plans, Annual wellness reimbursement, Professional Licenses and Membership dues reimbursement, Employee Assistance and Travel Assistance programs.
Paid Time Off:
PTO: 13 days accrued annually to start, increasing to 18 days after 3 years of employment.
Holidays: 9 company paid holidays.
Sick Leave: Paid sick leave accrues at a rate of 40 hours annually for full-time employees, part-time employees accrue sick leave on a pro-rata basis.
Paid Parental Leave: Up to 8 weeks of paid parental leave provides employees with partial wage replacement.