Join our team of visual storytellers
At Fehr & Peers, we help clients unpack complex transportation challenges and innovate solutions that improve communities. Our team of more than 20 visual communications specialists convey those solutions to clients and the public by transforming them into appealing and relatable visuals. We’re always accepting applications from creative problem-solvers who are passionate about transportation. Positions are available at each of our locations; just let us know your location preference when you apply.
Work with creatives of all types
There is no one single archetype for our Visual Communications Designer/Planners. Our diverse and highly collaborative group consists of graphic and UI/UX designers, coders, data scientists, GIS professionals, planners, and landscape architects. While our backgrounds and education vary immensely, we have one thing in common: excitement for transportation. We’re always looking to connect with visual designers interested in joining our team to help us better communicate and convey transportation ideas.
Untangle technical puzzles
Transportation analysis is often technically complex. The clients and communities we serve need to understand the real-world implications of those analyses, and they are not often technical experts in this field. Our visual designers help bridge that gap by simplifying complex concepts into intuitive visuals. Whether creating materials to spark dialogue with the public or helping clients make informed decisions, our designers serve as trusted advisors. They collaborate with project managers to determine the best ways to deliver information that resonates with the intended audience. As in-house visual communications experts, we expect everything our designers touch to become easier to understand than the draft they were given.
If you enjoy collaborating and asking questions, helping clients communicate more clearly and creatively, and providing options that you feel will improve a deliverable, then we want to hear from you.
Our Mid-Level Visual Communications Designer/Planners leverage their creativity, communications skills, familiarity with transportation planning concepts, and seasoned visualization expertise. Serving as partners to clients and project managers, they develop creative strategies for projects and work with entry-level planners/designers to execute these ideas.
- Establish creative vision for a broad range of applications, including data visualization, maps, final reports, presentations, and community engagement and execute this vision with limited direction and delegation to junior staff
- Collaborate with diverse consultant teams on marketing and project deliverable strategies
- Collaborate with company-wide Visual Communications team on best practices and visual design trends and software; contribute to mentoring and delegating based on these practices
- Maintain knowledge of design trends and inspiration; continually inject new ideas into our work
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop)
- Excellent visual and written communication skills
- Portfolio demonstrating visual design capabilities
- 3+ years of work experience as a visual designer
- Strong interpersonal skills, commitment to collaboration, and a creative approach to problem-solving
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS
- Superior organizational skills and the ability to multitask
- Passion for learning new industry standards and cutting-edge software programs
- Professional experience in the A/E/C or other consulting industry, urban planning, urban design, transportation planning, or the aptitude to pick it up quickly
- Experience delegating work to and providing input on the work of other designers
- Experience with 3D visualization, data visualization, illustration, UI/UX design, web design, and/or coding
- General business marketing experience