We are a group of passionate planners and engineers who work to help our neighboring communities by expanding accessibility and improving mobility. As a Transportation Design Engineer in the Bay Area, you will join a team committed to solving complex transportation problems across the nine-county region, in one of our four offices: Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose, Walnut Creek; and an additional satellite office in Petaluma.
Having many offices in the region gives us the strength and resources of a larger organization, while allowing each office to foster a friendly, flexible, “small company” environment. While an individual office primarily serves the communities closest to it, the right candidate would be expected to collaborate with staff across offices on a variety of design projects. We partner with public, private, and institutional clients, embracing and striving to embody the diversity of our market area. We aim to be our clients’ most trusted partner by delivering cutting-edge technical expertise. For public sector clients, we lead PS&E, corridor studies, master plans, conceptual designs, environmental documents, and everything in between. Our private sector clients include civil engineers, urban designers, developers, and technology firms.
As a mid-level engineer at Fehr & Peers you will lead the evaluation, selection, and design of a broad array of solutions for transportation systems in your community. Through extensive field work, close coordination with members of the complete streets engineering and planning teams, on-the-job training, and conversations with clients and communities, you will prepare conceptual designs and construction documents with support from staff at all levels. Your role will be to provide creative, thoughtful, and feasible design solutions that improve communities and that are consistent with the latest best practices developed by NACTO and comparable organizations. You will manage projects and delegate to technical staff as needed to deliver projects efficiently and effectively to our clients.
If you join our team, you can expect to grow by:
- Supporting complex projects from day one, creating both innovative and tried-and-true street designs, evaluating multimodal challenges, and engaging with stakeholders
- Managing your own schedule and responsibilities, allowing you to work flexibly around personal commitments and passions
- Building lasting relationships with local clients, helping us to focus on making a positive impact on our nearby communities
- Learning from mentors at every stage of your career, with access to senior leadership and expertise in the Bay Area office and throughout our company
- Researching innovative, state-of-the-art solutions with support from our discipline groups and technical initiatives to stay ahead of the industry
- Leading and managing tasks for engineering and planning studies
- Performing field work, such as site review preceding design, and support during construction
- Preparing conceptual designs that are accurate, feasible, and visually engaging
- Preparing plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E) for transportation engineering projects, including complete streets, bikeways, traffic signal, signing/striping, and lighting projects
- Managing direct client interaction and communication with members of the public through community engagement
- Marketing and bringing in new projects by nurturing client relationships and preparing proposals and interviews
- Mentoring and training your colleagues and receiving mentorship from senior staff
- 3-5 years of experience in transportation engineering
- Currently hold or plan to hold a professional engineer’s (PE) license
- Experience applying Caltrans, MUTCD, and AASHTO design standards on a variety of projects
- Familiarity with preparing and reviewing signing, striping, and traffic signal plans
- Safety countermeasure selection and design
- Familiarity with mobility issues and how they affect transportation engineering
- Experience leading proposals and nurturing client relationships
- Interest and experience with mentoring and training staff
Additional Desired Experience/Certifications
- Road Safety Professional (RSP) certification
- Passion for listening to and engaging with diverse communities
- Quick-build project design and implementation
- Active transportation planning and design
- Road safety planning and design
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The pay range for this position across all our locations is $78,000 – $103,000 annually. Placement within this range will be determined based upon geographic location, education, experience, and qualifications.
The following comprehensive benefit package is available to regular employees working 20 or more hours per week.
Medical: Employees can choose between several highly subsidized plan options, including a High Deductible Plan with company funded Health Savings Account, PPO and EPO/HMO plans. Specific coverage varies by plan.
Dental/Vision: Dental and Vision plans provide both in-network and out-of-network coverage at employee cost of only $1 per pay period for single coverage.
Life Insurance: Fehr & Peers pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D insurance, for coverage of $50,000. Employees have the option to increase coverage through a voluntary plan.
Disability Insurance: Short and long-term disability coverage of 60% of salary is fully paid by Fehr & Peers.
401(k): Fehr & Peers supports each employee’s retirement planning. The company provides a direct contribution to every employee’s retirement account, regardless of whether the employee makes their own personal contributions, and for those employees who choose to contribute personally we also provide an employer match. The magnitude of these employer contributions is based on the performance of the company. In 2022, employees who made personal contributions to their retirement account received an additional 25% in matching contributions from the company.
Mentoring/Career Development: Our robust career development program includes in-person training, customized coaching and mentoring programs, webinars and technical sessions on current topics in the field, and more.
Research & Development: We encourage staff to participant in one of our many internally-funded research and development groups, propelling innovation, creativity and enhancing the state-of-the-practice.
Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts, Commuter and Biking Benefits fully subsidized up to the IRS limit, Voluntary Benefit Plans, Annual wellness reimbursement, Professional Licenses and Membership dues reimbursement, Employee Assistance and Travel Assistance programs.
Paid Time Off:
PTO: 13 days accrued annually to start, increasing to 18 days after 3 years of employment.
Holidays: 9 company paid holidays.
Sick Leave: Paid sick leave accrues at a rate of 40 hours annually for full-time employees, part-time employees accrue sick leave on a pro-rata basis.
Paid Parental Leave: Up to 8 weeks of paid parental leave provides employees with partial wage replacement.