We are a group of passionate planners and engineers who work to help our neighboring communities by expanding accessibility and improving mobility. As a Transportation Design Engineer in the Bay Area, you will join a team committed to solving complex transportation problems across the nine-county region, in one of our four offices: Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose, Walnut Creek; and an additional satellite office in Petaluma.
Having many offices in the region gives us the strength and resources of a larger organization, while allowing each office to foster a friendly, flexible, “small company” environment. While an individual office primarily serves the communities closest to it, the right candidate would be expected to collaborate with staff across offices on a variety of design projects. We partner with public, private, and institutional clients, embracing and striving to embody the diversity of our market area. We aim to be our clients’ most trusted partner by delivering cutting-edge technical expertise. For public sector clients, we lead PS&E, corridor studies, master plans, conceptual designs, environmental documents, and everything in between. Our private sector clients include civil engineers, urban designers, developers, and technology firms.
As a mid-level engineer at Fehr & Peers you will lead the evaluation, selection, and design of a broad array of solutions for transportation systems in your community. Through extensive field work, close coordination with members of the complete streets engineering and planning teams, on-the-job training, and conversations with clients and communities, you will prepare conceptual designs and construction documents with support from staff at all levels. Your role will be to provide creative, thoughtful, and feasible design solutions that improve communities and that are consistent with the latest best practices developed by NACTO and comparable organizations. You will manage projects and delegate to technical staff as needed to deliver projects efficiently and effectively to our clients.
If you join our team, you can expect to grow by:
- Supporting complex projects from day one, creating both innovative and tried-and-true street designs, evaluating multimodal challenges, and engaging with stakeholders
- Managing your own schedule and responsibilities, allowing you to work flexibly around personal commitments and passions
- Building lasting relationships with local clients, helping us to focus on making a positive impact on our nearby communities
- Learning from mentors at every stage of your career, with access to senior leadership and expertise in the Bay Area office and throughout our company
- Researching innovative, state-of-the-art solutions with support from our discipline groups and technical initiatives to stay ahead of the industry
- Leading and managing tasks for engineering and planning studies
- Performing field work, such as site review preceding design, and support during construction
- Preparing conceptual designs that are accurate, feasible, and visually engaging
- Preparing plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E) for transportation engineering projects, including complete streets, bikeways, traffic signal, signing/striping, and lighting projects
- Managing direct client interaction and communication with members of the public through community engagement
- Marketing and bringing in new projects by nurturing client relationships and preparing proposals and interviews
- Mentoring and training your colleagues and receiving mentorship from senior staff
- At least three (3) years of experience in transportation engineering
- Currently hold or plan to hold a professional engineer’s (PE) license
- Experience applying Caltrans, MUTCD, and AASHTO design standards on a variety of projects
- Familiarity with preparing and reviewing signing, striping, and traffic signal plans
- Safety countermeasure selection and design
- Familiarity with mobility issues and how they affect transportation engineering
- Experience leading proposals and nurturing client relationships
- Interest and experience with mentoring and training staff
Additional Desired Experience/Certifications
- Road Safety Professional (RSP) certification
- Passion for listening to and engaging with diverse communities
- Quick-build project design and implementation
- Active transportation planning and design
- Road safety planning and design
To apply for this job please visit fehrandpeers.com.