About the Role
Our intern program focuses on skills development while maximizing learning and experience opportunities. Internships are available for a semester, summer, or throughout the year. Hours and work schedules will be determined based on your availability and the office’s needs. Interns will be provided with continuous feedback and have the opportunity to collaborate with staff at all levels on projects to aid in their career development and gain insight into a career in transportation consulting.
Our interns take on similar tasks and responsibilities as a full-time entry-level staff, which will include:
- Analyze/solve complex transportation planning or engineering problems
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, including in a community engagement setting
- Use software effectively and make timely and informed recommendations
- Work on a variety of projects which may include traffic operations simulations, bicycle and pedestrian plans, freight and goods movement planning, traffic impact studies, travel demand modeling, transit planning, and regional transportation plans
We look for the following qualifications and encourage all applicants to apply regardless of their ability to meet all the qualifications below.
- Strong interest or knowledge of transportation planning/engineering principles and practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal relationship skills, and presentation skills
- A passion for partnering with and serving the local communities
- Junior or senior level in college education
- Completion or current enrollment in a bachelor’s or master’s degree program. Various degrees considered including transportation or civil engineering; transportation/urban planning; or a related field (e.g., geography, public policy, economics, sociology, statistics, anthropology, graphic design, data science, GIS)
- Proficiency in one of the following: Microsoft Excel, the Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUp, ArcGIS, statistical software (Stata, R, SPSS) traffic operations software (VISSIM, Synchro), design and drafting software (AutoCAD, MircoStation), or travel demand modeling software (TransCAD, Cube)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The pay range for this position across all our locations is $22 – $31 hourly. Placement within this range will be determined based upon geographic location, education, experience, and qualifications.