No matter your experience level, find your career here as a transportation engineer and planner. We’re always accepting applications for each of our locations. See below for highlights of our offices with immediate needs. Choose the level that fits you best and let us know your location preferences when you apply.
Entry-level engineers and planners can expect to build a career foundation through a wide variety of experiences. An emphasis is placed on early development of project management and technical skills. In a single office, you’ll be exposed to a multitude of project types, maximizing opportunities for personal and professional growth, including:
- Transportation impact studies
- Bicycle and pedestrian planning
- Access, circulation and parking studies
- Multimodal operations assessment
- Complete Streets planning, operations and design
- Street lighting assessment analysis
- Traffic signal design
- Transit forecasting and operations
- Travel behavior forecasting
- Vehicle miles of travel (VMT) assessment
- Systemic safety studies
- Highway interchange/corridor studies
- Climate Action Plans
- Freight Planning
- Transportation Demand Management plans
What you’ll do:
- Field work
- Transportation analysis using the latest traffic engineering and planning software
- Report writing
- Meeting participation, including preparation of presentations and public outreach material
- Project management
- On-the-job training and mentoring
- Participation in professional organizations
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in transportation, civil, or electrical engineering, urban and regional planning, or a related major (e.g. Geography, Math, Statistics, Economics)
- Desirable work experience includes exposure to field work, traffic operations analysis (e.g., HCS, Synchro/SimTraffic, Vistro, VISSIM), signal design, transportation planning (e.g., bicycle or transit plans, infrastructure finance, transportation and land use policy), and travel demand modeling (e.g., Cube/Voyager, TransCAD, EMME)
- Advanced MS Excel Skills
- GIS and/or CAD experience is desirable
- Candidates should have excellent technical writing and public speaking skills
- An EIT for engineering candidates is highly desirable
On Day 1…
- Be ready to ask many questions.
By the end of the first month you will have…
- Worked on a few different projects
- Started seeking your own work from project managers
By the end of six months you will have…
- Worked on a variety of projects, and with most staff in the office
- Used several technical software programs
- Prepared deliverables, including memos, reports, and presentations
By the end of the first year you will have…
- Attended client meetings
- Managed a small project (for high performing staff)
APPLY FOR ENTRY-LEVEL NOW
Mid-level engineers and planners build on an existing foundation of project management and technical skills. An emphasis is placed on rising to progressively higher levels of technical proficiency and greater degrees of management and leadership.
What you’ll do:
- Analyze and solve complex transportation planning or engineering problems dealing with all travel modes
- Communicate clearly and concisely, using strong writing and presentation skills
- Use a variety of software programs effectively and make timely and informed recommendations to elected officials, managers and decision makers
- Work on a variety of projects, which may include traffic and transit simulation, campus plans, multimodal corridor studies, transportation impact studies, bicycle and pedestrian studies, and regional transportation plans
- Manage projects and develop high quality internal and client relationships
- The mid-level engineer/planner position requires a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in transportation, civil, or electrical engineering, urban and regional planning, or a related major (e.g. Geography, Math, Statistics, Economics)
- 3+ years of directly relevant work experience in one or more of the following areas: traffic operations analysis (e.g., HCS, Synchro, VISSIM), traffic engineering and streetscape design, transportation planning (e.g., bicycle or transit plans, infrastructure finance, transportation and land use policy), or travel demand forecasting (e.g., Cube/Voyager, TransCAD, EMME)
- GIS experience is a plus
- Excellent technical writing and public speaking skills
- Professional license is highly desirable
- Experience with project management and marketing is desirable
- Willingness to travel to other geographic markets as necessary
APPLY FOR MID-LEVEL NOW
Senior-level engineers and planners can fulfill one or more of several career paths, which may include leadership of an office, market, or technical discipline. An emphasis is placed on strategic leadership and management of a variety of transportation planning and engineering projects, including oversight of professional and support staff.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in transportation, civil or electrical engineering, urban and regional planning, or a closely-related field, and a professional license
- 7+ years of experience in hands-on transportation planning and engineering assignments, such as preparing regional transportation plans, corridor studies, environmental impact analyses, bicycle/pedestrian plans, infrastructure financing plans, and transit ridership forecasting and operations studies
- Proven success in providing technical leadership and training junior staff
- Proven success with winning work
- Significant experience with direct client interaction
- Proven experience in multiple transportation modeling and analysis software packages, such as Cube/Voyager, TransCAD, EMME, VISUM, VISSIM, Synchro/SimTraffic, and others
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and unexpected requirement changes
- Ability to oversee multiple projects, anticipate issues, propose solutions and implement them successfully
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Transportation enthusiasm and accustomed to working in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment
- Willingness to travel to other geographic markets as necessary
- Experience managing large, complex projects
- Experience mentoring less experienced staff
- Experience overseeing project staff in multiple geographic locations
APPLY FOR SENIOR-LEVEL NOW
Fehr & Peers is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Please read the Employment Application Statement.
Scroll through our immediate needs…
We are a passionate group who love sharing our expertise in multimodal transportation planning, engineering, travel demand forecasting, and design to improve the safety, comfort, and convenience of the communities in which we live and work. We’re seeking entry-level engineers and planners ready to start their career and join our 23-person team. Specifically, we’re looking for someone who has interest in transportation engineering design, including signals and striping, with a passion in finding creative and innovative solutions using AutoCAD and MicroStation.
Our team includes planners, engineers, data analysts, visual communicators, and administrative leaders, all of whom work closely together every day. We’re proud that staff often describe each other as professional, collaborative, and approachable. Working in the heart of Downtown Seattle, our staff enjoy all the benefits of the Seattle lifestyle, while collaborating with some of the most interesting clients the Puget Sound has to offer: Sound Transit, King County Metro, City of Seattle, WSDOT, and many others.
We’re transportation consultants on a mission to improve communities and looking for a mid-level engineer/planner to join our team. We are a passionate group who love sharing our expertise in multimodal transportation planning, engineering, travel demand forecasting, operations, and design to improve the safety, comfort, and convenience of the communities in which we live and work. We team together to work hard and deliver the best possible outcome for our clients, while combining our varying skill sets. We’d like a teammate who wants to collaborate on projects and brainstorm innovative solutions to planning and design problems. Does that sound like you?
Do you have strong experience in bicycle, pedestrian, transit, and/or TDM planning? Then join our 20-person team as a mid-level transportation planner. In this role, you’ll manage complex projects, foster client relationships, and win work to enhance our technical and geographic reach. Your passion for transportation planning is matched by your solid understanding of transportation engineering principles. Working in the heart of downtown San Jose, you’ll experience all of the benefits of living in a growing urban environment, while consulting to some of the most interesting organizations and businesses Silicon Valley has to offer: The City of San Jose, Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority, Stanford University, and many major tech companies, including Google, Facebook, and others. Our team includes planners, engineers, data analysts, visual communicators, and administrative professionals, with hobbies/interests that range from hiking to cooking/baking to adventure travel. We’re proud that staff often describe one another as professional, collaborative, and approachable.
Are you a passionate transportation professional? Do you enjoy building relationships, winning work, and improving communities? Join our collaborative and eclectic team of professionals as a project manager and lead planning, operations, multimodal, design, and/or travel demand forecasting projects. We provide transportation planning and engineering services for clients throughout the Bay Area, Central Valley, and beyond. Located directly across the street from the Walnut Creek BART station, you will have access to an easy BART commute as well as shopping and restaurants in downtown Walnut Creek. Our 30-person office includes people just starting out in their careers, a strong administrative team, and seasoned experts in their respective fields. We’re looking for someone with strong project management skills, a passion for transportation, and an upbeat and collaborative attitude.